Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lawnmower Madness.

Why ever do they mow so very very much?


(All photos are of volunteer plants that just grow by themselves in my yard.)


(mouse ear hawk weed, red clover and wild carrot mixed w/ the grass)

So, I do understand and agree with the concept of having a nice, well kept green space around a home, or other building...

Within reason. Not that I do much mowing around here. When I do feel it necessary, I use a quiet electric mulching mower and only go as far as the long extension cord reaches.
I do some veggie and flower gardening and plant the occasional tree or shrub here or there, but the rest is left to go wild. The wild plants give the yard character, cost nothing to maintain and as a bonus, attract pollinating insects, birds and wildlife.

I can logically see that an evenly mowed, healthy lawn could help keep the bugs down around the home by providing them with fewer breeding places, it is less of a fire hazard in the dry summer weather than long dry grass and weeds, it's great for sitting out or kids playing, and not least of all, it looks tidy.

As for me, I would like to eventually have our whole yard fenced in with free range rabbits, chickens, and ducks, to keep the grass and bugs down, but then I'll need to fence in some of the gardens. I want to do lots more mulching too... Maybe next spring.

(borage growing up through the grass)

What I will never understand is this DRIVE so many people have to produce an unrealistic lush
green velvety smooth lawn, (of just grass!), covering acres of fertile, formerly food producing ground. We have neighbors to the East, South and West of our land, who have beautiful manicured yards, a few of them have veggie gardens too, but most of them have lawns that take so long to mow, it's pretty near time to start mowing again when it's finished. They mow for hour after hour, days at a time, (weekends and holidays), mowers mindlessly droning on and on ceaselessly as tho it was a well paid job. Quite often there's a few going at once...

(wild asters)

Not only are they wasting time, producing noise and air pollution with their inefficient stinky gas burning ride on mowers, but on top of that they are also often introducing both potentially and proven harmful herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers into the local ecosystem. We are downhill from all the neighbors and I'm sure at least some of their runoff goes through the brooks on our land before it runs into the ocean...

What to do?



(wild carrot that got mowed a couple of times)

No comments: