Thursday, October 16, 2008

mustard pickles and pepper jelly

The mustard pickles are done, green salsa and pepper jelly processed & put away... And there's still a plethora of green tomatoes and cukes to process... Tomorrow I plan to make green tomato ketchup and chow chow. But what to do w/ the rest of the cucumbers? I'm wondering about jam or jelly?...
The red pepper jelly was an almost complete success, I was a little disappointed at the lack of a spicy bite but the kids just LOVE it... On rice crackers w/ unripened goat cheese... mmmmmmm I'm going to make another batch right away w/ no sweet peppers for us adults...Here's what I did:
2 Cups red peppers seeded and chopped, (1 big sweet one and the rest hot)
5 Cups honey
1 1/2 Cups apple cider vinegar
1 pkg pectin

I blended the first 3 ingredients in a blender until pureed, then it was gently warmed over a low fire for a few minutes, and then chilled overnight... Next day I strained the mix, added the pectin, boiled it for a couple of minutes, and poured it into sterilized jars, (the plastic freezer jam jar wasn't sterilized but that one will be gone by tomorrow!). After that, I ground fresh black pepper over each jar and put the lids on. I'm keeping this in the fridge, but don't expect it to last long enough to worry about it going bad!

With goat cheese on black sesame rice crackers...

No comments: