Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh the pain!!!

I had a little twinge in the right side of my jaw the other day, soon after recovering from a small infection in my left nostril, (my nose was sore for a few days I treated it w/ echinacea tea/extract and ester-c orally and saline in my nose, I didn't think much of it and thought that it was dealt with), yesterday morning I felt it in my ear and by afternoon I was incapacitated by the pain, scary for me because I'm someone who can usually deal w/ pain, no problem - I figure it's mostly in my mind. (I've given birth w/ no drugs or yelling, and I do some body-piercing, so I figure I know a little bit about pain)

This time was different, I could hardly think or move. I did an onion poultice which helped for a short while and made some garlic oil on the wood stove, otherwise I just lay there with a heating pad over my ear.

Luckily, I had an audio book of Ishmael by Daniel Quinn that I hadn't listened to yet, so I put that on and closed my eyes... It's a really good book, part fiction part anthropology about how our so called civilized culture justifies destroying every other species and culture for immediate gain, unaware/uncaring of the natural laws and balance that govern all life on earth. Wow...

Onion poultice:
I cooked one onion in a small covered pan w/a bit of water on the wood range until it was mushy.
Then I let it cool a bit, wrapped the pulp in cheesecloth and held it on my ear. aaahhhhhhhhh... Blessed relief! It worked beautifully while it was hot and I rewarmed it a few times in the leftover onion juice in the pan to make it last longer...

Garlic oil:
I peeled and sliced a whole head of garlic into a custard cup, sat it in a pan of water like a double boiler and simmered it on the cool side of the stove all afternoon and evening before straining...
I like to make a garlic based ear oil w/ other herbs like mullein flowers, plantain, calendula and comfrey, but I didn't get any mullein flowers in my garden w/ our cold, wet summer this year and as a result neglected to make my ear oil...

*I went to the Dr today and got a prescription for antibiotics after he said I have a bad bacterial ear infection... I also got some benzocaine drops for the pain and some super-probiotics to re-populate my gut flora. I still feel crappy but not in so much pain, thank goodness.

No comments: