Monday, October 13, 2008

Pico de Gallo

I have to admit that I've been wanting to make pico de gallo ever since I first listened to this song "Pico de Gallo" by the band Trout Fishing in America at the Winnipeg Folk Festival in 1997 or '98 when I had only one baby in my sling and we could still go wherever the wind blew us...

Chorus:
Pico de gallo, you oughta give it a try-o
Even if you're from Ohio, it'll get you by-o.
Don't get it in your eye-o unless you want to cry-o
So come on, don't be shy-o, eat some pico de gallo!
It's got jalapenos, I reckon y'all have seen those.
They're kinda hot for gringos and probably flamingos.
Just add some tomatillos, onions and cilantro, Chorus
It was Cinco de Mayo, and I was down on the bayou, With my good friend Venus de Milo We were watchin' Hawaii Five-O, She wanted some French fry-o's, or maybe apple pie-o
And I said why, oh, why-o? We got pico de gallo!Lime juice and tomato, you got pico de gallo!

Pico de gallo, you oughta give it a try-o
Even if you're from Ontari-i-o,
it'll get you by-o.
Don't get it in your eye-o
unless you want to cry-o
So come on, don't be shy-o,

eat some pico de gallo!So come on, don't be shy-o, eat some pico de gallo!


I also thought pico de gallo, (spanish for roosters beak!), had to have tomatillos, but as I realized today when I looked for a recipe, it applies to all sorts of different kinds of salsas. I looked at a bunch of different recipes and had to create my own using what I had on hand...

Pico de gallo:(Green Salsa)
3lbs of tomatillos
3 Hungarian hot wax peppers
1 head of garlic, peeled
3 small onions peeled and cut in half
5 green tomatoes cut in half
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 Cup of apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tsp of coarse grey sea salt
1 tsp of cumin seeds
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

First I roasted the first five ingredients in a couple of dry cast iron pans until toasty on the outside and soft on the inside, then I toasted the cumin seeds and ground them in a mortar and pestle with the salt and pepper. Finally, I blended everything to a coarse pulp starting with the onions and then garlic, hot peppers, spices, tomatoes, tomatillos, lime juice and cider vinegar. Then I put it into 119ml canning jars and processed them in a boiling water bath for 15 mins.
(This recipe filled 10 jars with about 1/4 C. left over. )

I also started an experimental sweet and hot red pepper jelly, with sugar, honey and cider vinegar that's been gently warmed, and is brewing as we speak.
-To be continued tomorrow...



And as for those mustard pickles, the cucumbers and onions finally got peeled, chopped and salted late today, so hopefully I can finish that in the morning. Here it is held down by a plate, weighted w/ a yogurt container full of water...
(The yellow flower sicking out from behind the stack of jars in the window, that kind of looks like a dandelion is actually a volunteer sunflower that just started blooming the other day. It's extra cool because it sprouted from old seeds I fed to the chicks that I kept by the window this summer...

More on all this tomorrow.
G'night.

No comments: