Monday, November 17, 2008

100 000 miles!

The odometer on my car rolled past 100 000 miles to start over at 000000 yesterday...
Almost 60% of those miles we put on it in these last 6 years of working, schooling and playing.

When I first saw this car I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen, next time I looked I kinda liked it, after that it was love.

The exterior was this pukey orange with a white top, and the interior was beige, in great condition except for the cracked seats and nasty carpet, and it was a 4-door!

We were driving an '80s Bonneville at the time and it was pretty cramped what with the 2 baby seats and booster seat but I couldn't see myself ever driving a minivan...

Anyways, this old malibu was sitting at this tiny car lot in town for years, buddy was asking way too much money for the shape it was in, it looked perfect from a distance but up close you could see the rust underneath, and the flapping fenders. After weeks of negotiations, we got it for around half of what he was asking. We were pleased and so was he.

Since then, we've put at least that much into bodywork but it's been worth it, considering what a new, or used car can cost these days. When it comes to doing engine work to this car, parts are surprisingly cheap and pleasingly simple, no computerized anything, just mechanics... It's running kind of rough right now, might be almost time for that engine overhaul we've been talking about for years.



When the bodywork was done in '07 we put one of those CounterAct corrosion control devices on the car, bought at Canadian Tire where the fellow in the automotive department assured us that this was the model we were looking for even after we asked if it shouldn't be the truck version because our car was so old and heavy relative to a new one... Well it didn't work a bit and now that the rust is back with a vengeance, I'm feeling ripped off. But I still love my car.

3 comments:

sKILLz said...

Thats pretty dam cool! I love the car by the way. I would hook that sucka up big time...
Stay Up!

sKILLz said...

Beep Beep
Still putting miles on that ride or wut girl??

undacova mutha said...

Hey sKillz! Thanks, much appreciated!

-I just wish I had the bucks to treat that car right... For now, an engine overhaul, a bit of bodywork and a good loud exhaust and I'd be good for a bit! One of these days...

(Ya, I'm back up over 100 miles again already! Too funny! :)