Sunday, December 7, 2008

Update


3 weeks since I last posted, so much has been going on; I haven't been sleeping well for months, I wake up at 2 or 3am with w/pain and burning that seems like it might be carpal tunnel, but it's accompanied by bad circulation and numbness. Nothing seems to help, so I lay awake until it's time to get up. Lately I'm too tired to get up early and use the computer as per usual, so I'm behind in everything...

We sold a big truckload of 350 christmas trees last week, I only put one on the truck myself because they are so heavy but I sure took lots of photos!

I plastered, caulked and painted a small drafty room off the living room, T installed a light and some flooring, now we have a warm, bright, study area for the children to do their schoolwork and a place to organize all of the teaching aids and learning supplies I've accumulated over the last decade. I expected this task to take a few days, after all the renovating and organizing, here we are weeks later and I am exhausted... (I'll post about this soon, I'm very happy w/the result)

On top of all that, we finally got the call from the school board about our homeschooling/unschooling... I'm going to speak to someone about it tomorrow. I don't keep every little thing they do, but I have plenty of..."proof", that they do some schoolwork. Here in Nova Scotia, we don't get to claim any tax credits or anything like that for homeschooling. I would move the family elsewhere before I put any of them back into the school system here. I can't wait to hear what they have to say about our methods... *fingers crossed*

I spent the morning yesterday, accompanying my sister in law to the federal penitentiary that my brother is currently incarcerated in for, "family day", so she could be turned away by the guards for no given reason except that the dog was barking at her, (it was barking at the handler and the guards too...). She had passed the metal detector, ion scanner test and had even offered to let them strip search her but to no avail, they wouldn't let her in, (along w/ almost 1/2 of the other visitors), and she was so upset. It's been over 5 months since she's seen him. I won't go in there anymore myself and now, neither will she. What a horrible dehumanizing place.

So much more to say, no energy now.
Tomorrow.

4 comments:

Paintedlady said...

Is it just the Antigonish County school board you have a problem with? Than really stinks about no tax exemptions for homeschooling, I think we have that here.

undacova mutha said...

It's the school itself I have issues w/... If the local p-6 that's w/in walking distance of this house hadn't been closed, I would definitely have them in it. We haven't had any problems w/ the school board so far,(unless we're talking about misuse of school funds, or their refusal to provide sex-ed or birth control to the high school students, etc...lol).

MoonRaven said...

Sorry that you've been having such a hard time. I hope that the pain passes and that you do well with the school board. What you have to go through to visit family in prison (and THEN not being let in!) sounds horrendous.

I am commenting late b/c I have been dealing with stuff in my own life.

Here's hoping things improve for you.

undacova mutha said...

Thank you for the kind thoughts and words MoonRaven. I have found some pain relief by sleeping on my back. The Dr I see on the rare occasion that I need one is on holidays.
I called the board of education this week, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Prison is a horrible place full of damaged people, (staff included), it's not helping anyone. I wish I'd never even seen the place.