Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friendly Fox...

When I was a child I would have these really intense dreams about foxes in the woods at night, not necessarily bad or good, very vivid tho. I would often awaken from sleep with these smiling fox eyes almost glowing with some all knowing inner light, staring back at me from the inside of my own eyelids... I always did have a thing for foxes, so wild but still adaptable to anywhere.

This picture here from NS museum, is about what I'd expect a fox to look like.




I took these pictures from my back door, a couple of weeks ago.

Trent and Ted were out working in the yard when it just trotted past, checking them out, then when they came in to tell me to look, it came around the other side of the house to the back door, stopped, looked around and came right up to the door. That’s where I shut the door and took the picture thru the glass but the flash blocked most of that one out, all you can see is the tail, but it was right there… It had no fear of us whatsoever; I was a bit worried about it being diseased, but it’s not obviously unhealthy, look at that bushy tail and shiny coat… Tho I did wonder why is it so red around the eyes? And when it looked right at me like that, I got chills. So calm, cool and collected, almost unearthly...Its eyes are glowing 2 different colors in the flash too, what is up with that? It was like a pet dog just checking us out, unlike any wild animal I’ve ever seen before…

Then, it just strolled away to the neighbors, no hurry, no worry...


"Because the disease is almost invariably fatal in humans once the symptoms are in evidence, rabid foxes should be avoided. When rabid, the normally shy and elusive red fox shows no fear of people, is often seen in daylight, and may foam at the mouth in advanced stages of the disease. Children should be warned to avoid bold or apparently friendly foxes. Rabies is transmitted through the bite of an infected animal. If a person is bitten, the wound should be washed immediately, and a doctor should be seen on an emergency basis. Rabies is a reportable disease and as such must be reported to the nearest veterinary authority, usually the District Veterinary Officer of the Animal Health Division, Food Production and Inspection Branch of the federal Department of Agriculture and Agri-Food. The brain of the animal involved should be submitted immediately to a Federal Veterinary Laboratory. Delay could result in the death of the person bitten."
From: The Hinterland Who's Who

Mammal Fact Sheets: Red Fox

No comments: